Jonathan is an experienced commercial lawyer who also advises on sports related matters.
Ranked highly in Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal Sports and Entertainment, Who’s Who Legal UK Bar and Chambers and Partners. In the 2017 edition of the Legal 500, Jonathan is recommended as a Leading Junior in Band 4 being “experienced in football cases before tribunals and the courts.”
In the 2019 edition of Chambers and Partners, Jonathan has been recommended in the category of Sport (Band 2 – junior). The edition notes that Jonathan is a vastly experienced barrister, who enjoys a long-standing reputation in the sport law arena, with particular knowledge of boxing and football matters. He is knowledgeable of both contractual and regulatory issues in sport. His strengths, as detailed by the edition, are that he is “an expert in football” and “he’s very bright and incredibly commercial.” This adds to Jonathan’s successful entry from the 2018 edition, where he is described as “fearless and extremely user-friendly.”
His current primary focus is advising and representing Vincent Tchenguiz and others in their Commercial Court claim against Grant Thornton UK LLP and others for substantial damages.
Interested in instructing Mr Crystal?
Please call 020 7353 6802 or complete the form below:
Recent sports advisory matters relating to Sam Allardyce, Roberto Martinez, Winston Reid, Everton, Huddersfield Town, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Leeds United, Jersey FA on its admission application to UEFA, acquisition of clubs and discounting receivables, Frank Warren, Gennady Golovkin, Amir Khan, Prince Naseem Hamed and Brian Lara .
- Tchenguiz v Director of the SFO and others (2017) EWHC 2644 (Comm). Permission under CPR 31.22(1)(b) to use documents said to be inadvertently disclosed or privileged.
- Petroleum Company of Trinidad & Tobago v Ryan and Anor (2017) UKPC 30. Successful appeal restoring the trial judge’s dismissal of claims for damages arising from the alleged emission of hydrocarbon gases from nearby oil well.
- Jersey FA v UEFA CAS decision 28 September 2017. Ruling setting aside the UEFA Executive Committee decision to reject JFA’s application for UEFA membership and ordering that the JFA’s application be forwarded to UEFA Congress for consideration.
- Tchenguiz v Kaupthing Bank Hf (2017) EWCA Civ 83. Appeal concerning the relationship between Jurisdiction Instruments including the Lugano Convention and Insovency Instruments operating in the field of cross-border insolvency including the Winding-Up Directive. Allocation of jurisdiction for claim in conspiracy to injure against Icelandic Bank in winding-up process.
- Su (aka Hsin Chu, Su Hsin Chi and Nobu Morimoto) v Clarksons Platou Futures Ltd (2017) EWHC 337 (Comm). Summary judgment application in relation to one (of two) claims. Whether claim time-barred pursuant to section 2 of the Limitation Act 1980. Whether Claimant could rely on special time limit under section 14A of the Limitation Act 1980. Permission to appeal granted.
- Tchenguiz v Grant Thornton and others (2017) EWCA Civ 172. Application granted for permission to appeal additional ground of appeal.
- Ali v Petroleum Company of Trinidad & Tobago (2017) UKPC 2. Acting for Respondent company. Whether loan by company to employee whilst studying abroad at university was repayable where employee did not return and work for the company for five years. The terms to be implied into the contract between the company and the employee. Whether the employee could avoid repayment because he had voluntarily left his employment. The Privy Council dismissing the appeal held that the employee could not avoid repayment.
- Tchenguiz v Grant Thornton and others (2016) EWHC 3727 (Comm). Summary judgment application on releases in Settlement Agreement. Permission to appeal granted.
- Janin Caribbean Construction v Wilkinson (2016) UKPC 26. Immunity of Attorney from action in respect of ‘holding papers’ for another Attorney. Whether Attorney’s client owed duty of care by Attorney ‘holding papers’ in the client’s matter. Whether Rondel v Worsley the law in Grenada.
- Tchenguiz v Grant Thornton, Johannes Johannsson and others (2016) EWHC 865 (Comm). Summary judgment application on releases in Settlement Agreement. Permission to appeal granted.
- Gibbs v Leeds United (2016) EWHC 960 (QB). Wrongful dismissal clam by assistant manager.
- Tchenguiz v Grant Thornton, Kaupthing and others (2015) EWHC 1864. (Comm) Summary judgment application on jurisdictional grounds.
- Rawlinson & Hunter Trustees S.A. and others v The Director of the Serious Fraud Office. July 2014. Settlement of claim for damages for misfeasance by acceptance of Part 36 offer made by the Defendant of £3 million.
- Kent Bloodstock v O’Brien December 2016. Successful claim by horseracing syndicate against member.